The Observer (UK): Setback for Shell as whale expert quits over Sakhalin
‘There is much that Shell could do to make this project safer. They know it, we all know it and the world will know it if we, as scientists, take a stand.’: “Steiner’s comments will be a severe blow to Shell which, with Russian energy giant Gazprom, holds a majority stake in this important but very problematic project. This summer Shell said costs on Sakhalin-2 may be double original estimates, ballooning to $20bn.”
Sunday 11 Sept 2005
Nick Mathiason
Sunday September 11, 2005
Royal Dutch Shell’s $20 billion Sakhalin-2 gas and oil project off the east coast of Russia faces a further setback this weekend.
A leading whale expert has resigned in protest from the Independent Scientific Review Panel set up by Shell to monitor the effect the project was having on the endangered western Pacific grey whales.
Earlier this year, following pressure from environmentalists, Shell changed the route of a pipeline which could have led to the extinction of the whales.
But drilling work and the construction of a platform mean the whales are still in danger. In a resignation letter to fellow scientists, Professor Rick Steiner of the University of Alaska, wrote: ‘There is much that Shell could do to make this project safer. They know it, we all know it and the world will know it if we, as scientists, take a stand.’
Steiner’s comments will be a severe blow to Shell which, with Russian energy giant Gazprom, holds a majority stake in this important but very problematic project.
This summer Shell said costs on Sakhalin-2 may be double original estimates, ballooning to $20bn.
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development is expected to decide whether to lend money to the project within weeks: its involvement is vital to Shell as it will persuade other banks to lend money.
But as the EBRD makes up its mind, construction workers on the project are accused of destroying salmon spawning grounds essential to the livelihoods of Sakhalin islanders. Shell denies this. Earlier this summer a Russian court ruled that Shell built a platform illegally.
This website and sisters royaldutchshellplc.com, shellnazihistory.com, royaldutchshell.website, johndonovan.website, and shellnews.net, are owned by John Donovan. There is also a Wikipedia segment.
















Royal Dutch Shell conspired directly with Hitler, financed the Nazi Party, was anti-Semitic and sold out its own Dutch Jewish employees to the Nazis. Shell had a close relationship with the Nazis during and after the reign of Sir Henri Deterding, an ardent Nazi, and the founder and decades long leader of the Royal Dutch Shell Group. His burial ceremony, which had all the trappings of a state funeral, was held at his private estate in Mecklenburg, Germany. The spectacle (photographs below) included a funeral procession led by a horse drawn funeral hearse with senior Nazis officials and senior Royal Dutch Shell directors in attendance, Nazi salutes at the graveside, swastika banners on display and wreaths and personal tributes from Adolf Hitler and Reichsmarschall, Hermann Goring. Deterding was an honored associate and supporter of Hitler and a personal friend of Goring.
Deterding was the guest of Hitler during a four day summit meeting at Berchtesgaden. Sir Henri and Hitler both had ambitions on Russian oil fields. Only an honored personal guest would be rewarded with a private four day meeting at Hitler’s mountain top retreat.














IN JULY 2007, MR BILL CAMPBELL (ABOVE, A RETIRED GROUP AUDITOR OF SHELL INTERNATIONAL SENT AN EMAIL TO EVERY UK MP AND MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF LORDS:


MORE DETAILS:












A head-cut image of Alfred Donovan (now deceased) appears courtesy of The Wall Street Journal.

























































